Ray Rice Gets Born Again, Raises Eyebrows Visiting Old High School

Ray Rice Gets Born Again - Ray rice Visits Old High School

Ray Rice has apparently opting for a more positive result from all the attention he’s gotten.

Sources revealed to TMZ Sports that the former Baltimore Raven and his wife Janay have reportedly become born again Christians after their infamous elevator incident. So much so that the couple has done religious mentoring with other NFL players and their wives. Too take it even further, the Rices were baptized in March, following Ray assaulting Janay in the elevator.

The incident has affected Rice so much that sources say he places the blame for the attack on heavy drinking and has since taken to drinking only wine after giving up hard liquor.

As he goes about trying to fix himself and his issues, the elevator assault continues to trail Rice, who decided to visit his old high school.

Although he went to the New Rochelle High School football game on Saturday, FoxSports.com reports that school officials were split on whether the athlete should attend the event.

The blog Talk of the Sound stated that although the New Rochelle’s principal, Reggie Richardson wasn’t in favor of Rice attending game, the school’s longtime head coach Lou DiRienzo invited and hugged the embattled running back, who appeared at the game with Janay and daughter Rayven.

“I don’t know how the word got out” about Rice’s visit, said Richardson, who downplayed any conflicting views about Rice. “The fact is that although we condemn Ray’s actions that he engaged in, we also have to acknowledge the fact that this is his home. New Rochelle is his home.”

Scroll down to see pictures of Ray and Janay Rice’s visit to New Rochelle High School below:

 

Mayweather Says NFL Overreacted on 2nd Ray Rice Video

Boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. (L) arrives for a work out at the Mayweather Boxing Club on September 2, 2014 in Las Vegas, Nevada

Floyd Mayweather Jr. believes the NFL should have stuck with its original discipline of Ray Rice, saying the league was overly influenced by new video showing the running back knocking out his then-fiancee in an Atlantic City elevator.

The boxer — who has had his own domestic abuse issues — said Tuesday he didn’t think Ray Rice’s original two-game suspension should be changed by the NFL because of video.

“I think there’s a lot worse things that go on in other people’s households, also,” Mayweather said. “It’s just not caught on video, if that’s safe to say.”

Mayweather, who spent two months in a Las Vegas jail in 2012, still maintains his innocence even after pleading guilty to reduced domestic abuse charges stemming from an attack on his former girlfriend while their children watched. Had Mayweather not taken the plea bargain, he would have gone to trial on felony charges that could have gotten him up to 34 years in prison.

Mayweather also was named in a civil lawsuit last week by his former fiancee, who said the fighter assaulted her and kept her from leaving his Las Vegas mansion. In addition, Shantel Jackson said the boxer publicly humiliated her by posting online a sonogram showing her pregnant with twins and then claiming she aborted them.

Mayweather said he has been falsely accused many times.

“Like I’ve said in the past, no bumps, no bruises, no nothing,” Mayweather said. “With O.J. and Nicole, you seen pictures. With Chris Brown and Rihanna, you seen pictures. With (Chad) Ochocinco and Evelyn, you seen pictures. You guys have yet to see any pictures of a battered woman, a woman who says she was kicked and beaten (by Mayweather). So I just live my life and try to stay positive, and try to become a better person each and every day.”

Mayweather made his remarks before a small group of reporters at the MGM Grand hotel, where he made a formal fight week arrival for his rematch Saturday with Argentina’s Marcos Maidana.

And now…Stephen A. Smith’s “disgust” this morning on ESPN’s “First Take”:

 

Calls to Domestic Violence Hotline Spike After Ray Lewis Video

nfl_a_rice_d1_600x400

The National Domestic Violence Hotline has seen an 84 percent increase in phone calls in the two days since TMZ posted the video of former NFL player Ray Rice knocking his then-fiancée unconscious in an elevator.

Katie Ray-Jones, the CEO of the hotline, said it normally receives 500 to 600 calls a day from domestic violence victims and their concerned friends or family members. But after the Rice video was circulated online Monday, the hotline received over 1,000 phone calls, reports The Huffington Post. The numbers continued to climb on Tuesday.

“We had an outpouring of women saying, ‘Oh my god, I didn’t realize this happened to other people.’ They thought they were living a life that was very unique to them,” Ray-Jones told The Huffington Post. “One woman called in who is married to a [mixed martial arts] fighter. She said, ‘I just saw that video, and I know my husband could do worse, and I need help.”

Ray-Jones said the hotline does not have enough advocates on staff to field the calls, which continue all night long. There are 15 to 18 staff members answering calls during the day and seven or eight overnight, but they were already overwhelmed before the surge of calls began earlier this week. The hotline also has a “relief staff pool,” but it doesn’t have the financial resources to sustain it for any significant period of time.

“Last year, we didn’t answer over 77,000 calls due to lack of resources,” Ray-Jones said. “Our advocates were really busy before, so they’re definitely feeling the impact of the video now. This is a situation where women are holding longer on the lines and waiting for an advocate to be free. But we don’t have the financial resources to bring in more staff, so we’re at a place where we’re just encouraging advocates to do the best they can.”

The National Domestic Violence Hotline receives a large portion of its funding from the federal government, but its budget was cut last year due to the automatic cuts under sequestration. Congress gave the hotline a funding boost for next year that will go into effect on Oct. 1, however, and that will hopefully provide some relief to the overworked hotline staffers.

The good news, Ray-Jones said, is that the video of the Ray Rice incident is sparking a national conversation about domestic violence and encouraging more women to reach out for help. She hopes the attention on the issue will pressure Congress to give more funding to domestic violence programs and to pass legislation that would take guns out of the hands of domestic abusers.

“We need to take the survivors’ voices to the Hill,” she said. “This is real. This issue has a face. And people saw a face with Ray Rice and the imagery of what people are experiencing.”

 

Janay Rice Blasts Media for Creating ‘Nightmare’ Situation (Video)

Janay Rice Blames Media For Nightmare Situation

If an Instagram from the account of Janay Rice is to be believed, she and husband Ray Rice are not happy with the media today.

Janay Rice apparently posted a statement Tuesday calling the situation a “nightmare.”

“To take something away from the man I love that he has worked his ass off for all his life just to gain ratings is a horrific (sic),” she wrote.

As the world now knows, the Baltimore Ravens released Ray Rice on Monday after a video surfaced showing him knocking Janay out with a punch in February.

The Instagram post, reported by various media, appears to be authentic.

“No one knows the pain that the media & unwanted options from the public has caused my family,” Janay Rice wrote. “To make us relive a moment in our lives that we regret every day is a horrible thing.”

She added in the Instagram post: “THIS IS OUR LIFE! What don’t you all get.”

At a press conference in July, Ray Rice said his actions were “inexcusable” and that he and Janay were in counseling. The couple married March 28.

“We’re taking the necessary steps to move forward,” he said. “My job is to lead my family. My job is to lead my wife. My job is to lead in whatever I do. And If I’m not being the example, then my family crumbles.”

Rice was originally suspended for two games, a punishment that many saw as too lenient.

Ray Rice was just weeks away from returning to the gridiron when the new video surfaced and the Ravens and the NFL acted more severely.

Developing ….

 

 

 

Ray Rice: ‘I Have To Be Strong For My Wife’ (Video)

Ray Rice I Have To Be Strong For My Wife

ESPN’s Josina Anderson just spoke to Ray Rice and his wife Janay on the phone in the wake of his release from the Baltimore Ravens and indefinite suspension from the NFL.

Asked how he was doing, the running back responded, “I have to be strong for my wife, she is so strong. We are in good spirits. We have a lot of people praying for us and will continue to support each other.”

Anderson has the full account of the phone call and what Janay said in the clip below:

(If you can’t see the above video on your mobile device, click here.)

Ray Rice Dropped by Nike, Deleted from ‘Madden NFL 15’, More

Ray Rice for Nike Hyperwarm

Nike announced today it has severed its endorsement deal with Ray Rice and EA Sports has pulled the suspended running back from its “Madden NFL 15″ as fallout continues from his domestic violence incident.

Nike spokesman KeJuan Wilkins confirmed to ESPN.com that as of noon ET Tuesday, the former Ravens running back, who had an active deal with the company, was no longer on the roster of the world’s largest sports shoe and apparel maker.

Rice now joins such company as Lance Armstrong, Justin Gatlin and Michael Vick among athletes who have been dropped by the brand. Armstrong and Gatlin lost their deals related to performance-enhancing drugs. Vick was released after he admitted to bankrolling a dogfighting operation. Nike has since signed Vick again.

Nike used Rice as recently as January to unveil to the press the special cold-weather gear it made for the Super Bowl in New Jersey. The company is also the official apparel provider of the league.

Ray Rice in Madden NFL 15

Rice will be removed from Madden through an online roster update, as the game has already been released.

“With Ray Rice’s indefinite suspension from the NFL, he will be removed from ‘Madden NFL 15,’” EA Sports communications director Julie Foster said. “This roster change will take place by this Friday.”

ray-rice-vertimax

Rice lost another endorsement deal from a jump training program called VertiMax. VertiMax CEO Michael Wehrell initially stood by Rice in February, after the first video of him dragging his then-fiancee out of an Atlantic City casino elevator emerged. On Monday, Wehrell said his company decided to cut its association with Rice in June.

“After internal discussion about the events that transpired, we determined that a future relationship with Ray did not align with our goals as a company,” Wehrell said in a statement.

Rice jerseys were pulled off shelves at retailers Dick’s Sporting Goods and Modell’s on Monday and were no longer available for sale at the NFL Shop, the league’s official online store. On Tuesday, the Ravens announced they would allow fans to exchange Rice jerseys at some point, though the details of the program have not yet been specified.

Meanwhile, a Baltimore pizza parlor is offering a free pizza for anyone who turns in a Ray Rice jersey.

Hersh’s Pizza bartender Abby Hopper collects a Ray Rice Baltimore Ravens football jersey from Erin McGonigle.

Hersh’s Pizza in Federal Hill posted the promotion to its Facebook before Rice’s contract was terminated. The shop ended its post with the hashtag “#CutRayRice.”

“Dear Lovers of Women, Not Hitting Women, Non Violence and Just Generally Being a Good Person, come trade your Ray Rice Ravens Jersey in for a free pizza at Hersh’s,” reads the statement. “These jerseys will save us money on toilet paper this week.”

The initial Facebook post was shared close to 300 times in about three hours. Hersh’s later announced that the shop would donate $2.70, after Rice’s No. 27, to the House of Ruth for every jersey it received. “Since there are only so many we can use for toilet paper,” a new Facebook post read.

Baltimore pub No Idea Tavern also announced on Twitter it would give a $10 bar tab to any customers who surrender a Rice jersey at the bar, ABC News reported.

Also, Rutgers University, Rice’s alma mater, removed him from the “Knights in the NFL” video shown before games.

“He is out of that,” Rutgers’ chief spokesman, Pete McDonough, told ABC News, adding that the school is culling through its other promotional material to make Rice won’t appear in any of them.

Dwyane Wade and Gabrielle Union Are Officially Licensed to Marry

gabrielle union & dwyane wade

If there were any doubts of Dwyane Wade marrying Gabrielle Union this weekend, there shouldn’t be anymore.

Wade and Union are now licensed to marry. And the only thing they are missing is the signature of the person who’s marrying them, reports Jose Lambiet’s Gossip Extra.

If anything’s for sure. It’s too late for cold feet. They were assigned license number  No. 14-014061.

Union signed up for the marriage license online and paid a $93.50-fee in order to get the license. She received the license on Tuesday.

It was just in time. The law requires a couple wait at least three days after receiving the marriage license to marry.

The couple will marry in an unknown location in Miami Saturday night. But of course, folks all over South Florida are trying to find out more details about the ceremony and banquet.

 

Related Posts with Thumbnails