‘SVU’ Tackles Ray Rice, Solange/Jay Z, Donald Sterling Scandals in One Episode

Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 4.11.58 PM

”Law & Order: SVU” CONTINUES to “rip from the headlines” this season, with Wednesday’s episode borrowing from the recent domestic violence scandals rooted in elevator surveillance footage.

In this Wednesday’s episode, titled “American Disgrace,” famous basketball star Shakir “The Shark” Wilkins is accused of rape by a PR employee from his clothing line.

According to The Huffington Post, “SVU” borrows from the RAY RICE elevator assault and the Jay Z/Solange elevator fight to show just how ambiguous scandals can be when there’s no audio and only raw camera footage.

“I’m trying to keep the show 10 minutes ahead of the news,” “SVU” showrunner Warren Leight told HuffPost Entertainment earlier this month. Leight told us that he wanted to keep the series in tune with the manner in which news leaks now, which is coming more and more from SECURITY CAMERA footage released by TMZ (on the show it’s call LMZ).

“I loved the idea of just a silent black and white scene, then sound goes out,” Leight said. “You kinda wanna know what’s going on.”

The showrunner, who wrote the episode with Julie Martin, revealed that it also tackles the Donald Sterling scandal via Stacy Keach’s character .

Watch a teaser or the episode below:

“Law & Order: SVU” airs Wednesday at 9:00 p.m. ET on NBC.

 

Ravens Owner: Ray Rice Behind ESPN Article Claiming Cover-Up

Steve_Bisciotti_Press_Conferece_Ray_Rice_Video

Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti has addressed ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” article that broke over the weekend claiming that he tried to cover up attempts to have the league go easy on Ray Rice with just a two-game suspension after learning he knocked his then-fiance unconscious in an elevator.

Addressing the media, Bisciotti said he strongly believes the sources for the ESPN article were Ray’s attorney, Ray’s agent and Ray’s friends — who gave the info to ESPN in an effort to get Ray reinstated into the NFL.

Bisciotti says the allegations in the ESPN article are false, but says he believes Ray’s team would push the false stories out because the best way to build a case for reinstatement is to “make everybody else look like they’re lying.”

“The majority of the sources are people that work for Ray,” Bisciotti said. “Almost everything in there is anonymous, but it’s clear from the subject matter that it’s Ray’s attorney, it’s Ray’s agent, it’s Ray’s friends.”

“Outside the Lines” reported Friday that Bisciotti, Ravens president Dick Cass and general MANAGER Ozzie Newsome tried to persuade NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to be lenient on Rice following his February arrest.

The Ravens released Rice earlier this month after TMZ released the second video. The NFL suspended Rice indefinitely shortly after he was released by the team.

According to the OTL report, Ravens coach John Harbaugh urged team officials to cut Rice immediately after the first TMZ video, which SHOWED Rice dragging Palmer out of the elevator, was released in February. The report also indicated Harbaugh went to Newsome in March and asked him to release the three players who were arrested this offseason, including Rice.

Minutes before the news conference, the Ravens issued a lengthy rebuttal to the OTL report. Included in the Ravens’ statement:

• Harbaugh said he did not recommend cutting Rice after seeing the first videotape, as OTL said he had urged his bosses. “I did not recommend cutting Ray Rice from the team after seeing the first videotape,” Harbaugh said in the statement. Newsome, in the statement, said: “Neither John nor anyone else ever recommended cutting Ray Rice before we saw the second videotape on September 8.”
• The Ravens director of security denied that he received an account of the incident “within hours” of the incident. In the statement, he said that within “a couple of days,” he asked the CASINO and the Atlantic City policy for a copy of the videotape and he was turned down. He said that, on Feb. 25, a police department official offered to view the tape and “describe what he saw.” He said the official described both of them as intoxicated, but that “the officer could not tell from the video whether Ray slapped or punched her, but Ray told me very clearly that he did not punch her.”
• Newsome said that he and Rice talked and that Rice told him he hit his then-fiancee, but that they did not “discuss details beyond that.” “I immediately focused on Ray taking responsibility and making amends,” Newsome said. “I later said Ray didn’t lie to me because he told me he hit her, and that is what the video later showed-although the video was much more violent than what I had pictured.”
• Bisciotti and Cass denied that they lobbied the judicial system in New Jersey or Goodell to go easy on Rice. “That statement is not true,” Cass said.

Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti (right) and running back Ray Rice (left) hug during the Super Bowl XLVII celebration at M&T Bank Stadium

Bisciotti also addressed OTL’s report that he texted Ray Rice – one day after cutting him –  basically offering him a job down the road, a move that Rice interpreted as “hush money” and left Rice “flabbergasted.”

Bisciotti confirmed the text exchanges but said they were “told to someone and misquoted” by ESPN in the article. He then published what he says are texts in “verbatim” form.

“I did have an exchange of text messages with Ray, which he initiated,” Bisciotti said. “I felt awful about what had happened. I believed he was, at heart, a good person, that he was capable of redemption, and I wanted to tell him I would be supportive of him. Here are the texts, not as told to someone and then misquoted in the article, but verbatim.”

Those texts, per the Ravens release, read as follows:

Monday September 8, 7:44 pm

Ray: I understand the decision but I am thankful for what you have done for me and my family. Me and my wife will CONTINUE to work on us and being better but I just wanted to say thank you for giving me a chance

Steve: I’m sorry we had to do this. I still love you and believe that you will be a great husband and father If you ever need to talk just call

Tuesday September 9, 10:27 pm

Steve: I just spent two hours talking to Ozzie. It was all about you. We love you and we will always figure out a way to keep you in our lives. When you are done with football I will hire you to help me raise Great young men. I still love you!!!

Ray: I know it’s a rough time for all of us I love all of you and that will never change for life!

Steve: I will help you make it a great life indeed. I give you my WORD

Ray: That means the world to me and my family we greatly appreciate you and thank you.

At his press conference on Monday, Bisciotti addressed the idea of trying to pay off Rice.

“If I cut a guy making $6 million a year — if I’m promising him to be by his side and hire him for $100,000 a year five years from now so he can help Harry Swayne in our player development department — if that is considered worthy of him going along, I find that rather absurd because it would take him 250 years to make back the $25 million that I took away from him by cutting him.”

 

Robin Givens Calls Ray Rice Video ‘A Game Changer’ (Watch)

robin givens today show

On Friday, Robin Givens, who was married to Mike Tyson from 1988 to 1989, appeared on “Today,” calling the released footage of Ray Rice’s violent actions “a game-changer.”

“This conversation has become a different conversation because of that video,” she said “However difficult it is for this poor woman, she will help myself and other women just to be believed that this is indeed possible, that this does happen to women.”

Givens, 49, wrote a Time op-ed titled “Why I Stayed” about her experience in an abusive relationship with Tyson, 48. In it, she writes that after seeing the video of Ray “actually punching Janay Rice unconscious, I thought, this is what happened to me. The only difference was that when I came to, a doorman was carrying me over his shoulder, out of my fiancé’s apartment, and into a car.”

On “Today,” Givens asked, “Why is it that the victimizer becomes the victim? Why is it that we want to protect these men? What is it about our society, what is it about us as women that we feel the need to protect them?”

Watch below:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

 

Chris Brown on Ray Rice: ‘I’ve Been Down That Road’ (Watch)

chris brown

MTV asked Chris Brown about his thought on Ray Rice and his domestic violence case that has brought this issue, and Brown’s 2009 beating of Rihanna, back into the national spotlight.

“To Ray, or anybody else—because I’m not better than the next man—I can just say I’ve been down that road,” said Brown, 25. “I deal with situations and I’ve made my mistakes too, but it’s all about how you push forward and how you control yourself.”

“It’s all about the choices you do make,” he continued. “…So I think help is great. I still talk to my therapist twice a week, and it helps me to…if I’m frustrated and I’m dealing with something, to vent and say what I’m going through so I can hear from an actual clinical person, ‘This is how you should react,’ or ‘It’s good to feel this way because feelings, emotions and energy are supposed to come and go. It’s not supposed to stay there, you’re not supposed to keep it inside, because it’ll just bottle up and you’ll become a monster.’”

Watch the interview below:

Read more at http://www.eurweb.com/2014/09/chris-brown-on-ray-rice-ive-been-down-that-road-watch/#Z5WTgJ5r12tUAIKc.99

Mayweather Says NFL Overreacted on 2nd Ray Rice Video

Boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. (L) arrives for a work out at the Mayweather Boxing Club on September 2, 2014 in Las Vegas, Nevada

Floyd Mayweather Jr. believes the NFL should have stuck with its original discipline of Ray Rice, saying the league was overly influenced by new video showing the running back knocking out his then-fiancee in an Atlantic City elevator.

The boxer — who has had his own domestic abuse issues — said Tuesday he didn’t think Ray Rice’s original two-game suspension should be changed by the NFL because of video.

“I think there’s a lot worse things that go on in other people’s households, also,” Mayweather said. “It’s just not caught on video, if that’s safe to say.”

Mayweather, who spent two months in a Las Vegas jail in 2012, still maintains his innocence even after pleading guilty to reduced domestic abuse charges stemming from an attack on his former girlfriend while their children watched. Had Mayweather not taken the plea bargain, he would have gone to trial on felony charges that could have gotten him up to 34 years in prison.

Mayweather also was named in a civil lawsuit last week by his former fiancee, who said the fighter assaulted her and kept her from leaving his Las Vegas mansion. In addition, Shantel Jackson said the boxer publicly humiliated her by posting online a sonogram showing her pregnant with twins and then claiming she aborted them.

Mayweather said he has been falsely accused many times.

“Like I’ve said in the past, no bumps, no bruises, no nothing,” Mayweather said. “With O.J. and Nicole, you seen pictures. With Chris Brown and Rihanna, you seen pictures. With (Chad) Ochocinco and Evelyn, you seen pictures. You guys have yet to see any pictures of a battered woman, a woman who says she was kicked and beaten (by Mayweather). So I just live my life and try to stay positive, and try to become a better person each and every day.”

Mayweather made his remarks before a small group of reporters at the MGM Grand hotel, where he made a formal fight week arrival for his rematch Saturday with Argentina’s Marcos Maidana.

And now…Stephen A. Smith’s “disgust” this morning on ESPN’s “First Take”:

 

Ray Rice: ‘I Have To Be Strong For My Wife’ (Video)

Ray Rice I Have To Be Strong For My Wife

ESPN’s Josina Anderson just spoke to Ray Rice and his wife Janay on the phone in the wake of his release from the Baltimore Ravens and indefinite suspension from the NFL.

Asked how he was doing, the running back responded, “I have to be strong for my wife, she is so strong. We are in good spirits. We have a lot of people praying for us and will continue to support each other.”

Anderson has the full account of the phone call and what Janay said in the clip below:

(If you can’t see the above video on your mobile device, click here.)

Columbus Short Says He’s Staying in Barbados For Good, Despite U.S. Warrant (Watch)

columbus short

Columbus Short has appeared to declare himself a fugitive.

As previously reported, a California judge has issued a warrant for his arrest after he failed to show earlier this week in his domestic violence case. But, the former “Scandal” star was in Barbados yesterday when he told the crowd he’s packing his bags and moving there for good, reports TMZ.

Columbus has had four run-ins with the law in the last five months, “and aggressively spoke about his disdain for the people who are accusing him of wrongdoing,” according to TMZ.

Also, he cannot be extradited from Barbados since the crimes against him are all misdemeanors.

Watch the video here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails